If you have never tried squid ink pasta, then you are missing out on a classic and renowned Venetian recipe. Venice, being a coastal region in Italy, beautifully incorporates seafood and other fresh locally harvested ingredients into traditional mainland Italian dishes. The best place to see all of these wonderful ingredients is at the Rialto Market, which is a centerpiece of the UNESCO Heritage list. While strolling through the market you can purchase fresh pork, clams, squid, beef, pumpkin, oils, game meat, herbs, spices, and many other locally available items.
Ingredients Squid Ink Pasta Recipe
8 Ounces of Venetian Squid Ink Spaghetti
2 Tablespoons of White All-purpose Flour
8 Large Scallops
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Zest
1 Medium Size Minced Shallot
8 Jumbo Size Shrimp
5 Minced Garlic Cloves
9 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup of White Wine
2 Cups of Heavy Cream
1 Teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
3 Tablespoons of Chopped Parsley
Sea Salt for Taste
Freshly Ground Black Pepper for Taste
Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese for a Garnish
1/2 Cup of Chopped Grape Tomatoes for a Garnish
Preparation for Squid Ink Pasta Recipe
1. Bring water in a large cooking pot to a boil. Add in the squid ink flavored pasta and cook it according to the instructions on the package. Once the pasta is cooked, drain out the water and then return the pasta to the pot.
2. Add 3 Tablespoons to the cooking pot. Stir the butter into the hot pasta. Set it aside.
3. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add 4 tablespoons of butter to the pan.
4. Add the scallops to the pan. Sear each side of them for 2-3 minutes. Set them aside once finished.
5. Add the shrimp to the pan. Sauté it until it is pink and curled. Set them aside once finished.
6. Add the remaining butter, garlic, and shallots to the pan. Sauté these ingredients for 2-3 minutes. Next, stir in the flour until the mixture is paste-like.
7. Stir the white wine into the pan mixture. Bring the ingredients to a boil. Next, stir in the lemon zest, cream, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes.
8. Add the cooked seafood to the pan and stir it into the sauce. Allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes. Make sure that the sauce is creamy and loose.
9. Add the seafood and squid ink spaghetti into serving bowls. Spoon the desired amount of sauce into each bowl.
10. Garnish the bowls with grape tomatoes and parmesan. Consume immediately and enjoy.
Wine Pairing: Chardonnay